Thursday, September 11, 2008

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20080911/OPINION/809110370

A wonderful post from the founder of Children of Chernobyl U.S. Alliance. And here is my comments to the paper:

Very Well Said! I truely hope that this child goes home, so that the thousands of others in similar situations as hers are able to enjoy the same summers that she has been given. IF this was a fresh air program and a family tried to keep the child, there would be instant police action to return the child. This should be no differnt. She should be taken into police custody and returned home without question. The visa she was issused is within the guidelines of the COC program, and since she has broken the agreement, her visa should be revoked at once. She doesn't have a legal guaridan, is an underage minor, and doesn't have any insurance. She needs to go home and finish her schooling, and if as a mature adult wants to return, then she can. The host family needs to be a good role model and follow the contract they agreed to. And yes, I miss my Bella-daughter every day, and it breaks my heart at the thought of not seeing her next summer. And at then end of her summers here, then yes I would let her go, and hope to someday visit her. But I would never knowlying force thousands of children to pay by keeping her here.

1 comment:

AwtemNymf said...

What a great medical Foster program. I'm sure some of the kids would rather live in the US with different family's, but that's not their choice. It must be hard. I try to look at this situation at both sides of the big picture and it breaks my heart to a point. While the program is a great one... I can understand it must be hard to let go for both the child and foster family. Wow! Kudos to ALL of you for being strong and helping that young lady! I hope you can still communicate with her via cards and care packages.