Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A bit about me!

Since this is my first blog, I will tell you a bit about myself. I am weird. I love art, and designing jewelry, creating something from pieces. The no rules, just what looks right to you....and I am a nurse, very pratical, with lots of rules, lots of charting and a whole mess of not creating....kinda. I work on an end stage dementia unit. The residents there can carry on a conversation, most of the time dress themselves, and such. Now, the conversation might be the same one you just had 10 minutes ago, and the cloths might not always match but hey, that's life. I love to joke and have fun, they play right along, and it ends with lots of giggles and hugs. One gentleman, whom I adore, loves his sweets! I will tell him, I ate his dessert already, and he whoop ( yes old word) me if I did. His daughter is one of the sweetest person I know, and my resident will tell you she is just like her mom, no him! So while it can be crazy sometimes, there is a lot of joy and playfulness on my weekends. Oh, that's another part of me, I work 12 hour weekends, every weekend, and get paid for 40 hours. Pretty cool! So I am home during the week, and get to play with my jewelry or explore the internet.
I have two girls, one 15, and the other 18....yes Lady Clariol lives in my bathroom closet ! It's really a challange to raise strong, balanced daughters in this day and age. I also have a 11 year old that comes each summer. Her name is Katya, and it's a program called Children of Chernobly. She comes for 6-8 weeks each summer for a health respite. Goes to the dentist, doctor, and eye dr. then we send home 75lbs of medical supplies, food, clothing, and such. More on that later.......I adore her and miss her when she isn't here.
We also have 6 cats, and 3 dogs. I am an animal lover, and support a couple rescues. One of them is Big Cat rescue in Florida. They do the big cats, and give them a life long home. Another is Search and Rescue dogs in Ca. They train the dogs that look for live victums of disasters, like 9/11 and hurricans. There is also my local shelter that gets regular donations of money, food, treats, and anything else I can think to get them.
I am also an avid coupon shopper! Don't talk to me on Mondays, between shippng sale from Ebay and Etsy from the weekend, and getting my game plan for shopping, I am usually going a mile a minute.
Oh, I also feel I am the perfect blend of my Mother and Father. Mom is very smart, always learning, at 60+ (love you Mom) she does karate, and plays electric guitar. I grew up listening to the Rolling Stones! My dad, has left this world about 11 years ago, was a truck driver, one of those good old boys. He never had a mean word for anyone, and would flirt shamelessly with just about anyone. It didn't matter to him what you did, as long as you did it well. I find I have this thirst for knowledge and learning but am often told my residents families love talking to me, because I put it in plain English. I like to kiss....keep it simple sweetie! Oh and I am from the south and honey, hon, and sweetie are all part of my words. Okay, I think that is long enough for now! HAVE FUN AND BE GOOD!

1 comment:

Jen said...

You must be a very special person to work with dementia patients. My mother was the Director of Nursing at an home for the elderly for over 20 years. I worked there for 4 summers and I really loved it. One of my favorite patients was named Winnie. She would get out of bed with her hair all combed and neat and then comb it straight up before going to breakfast. Hilarious!
Thanks for your comments on my blog, keep on writing!